Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Areivut, Et Al.

A Sefer Torah opened for liturgical use in a s...Image via Wikipedia
Did I ever mention that I started a blog to go with my study course? Did I even mention my study course?

Probably not.

One of the things that resided in my mind from the very beginning of this adventure into Judaism was to follow the rabbinical path. Perhaps in the beginning, to be brutally honest, it was the vision of a kid that wanted yet another title.

Let's face it. I'm turning 40 soon, and that means to a great extent that if I do take statistics to heart, and I am fortunate enough (G-d willing) to merit a full 80 years on Earth, then my life is half over.

Gone are the days of college life (I "enjoyed" the military instead). Away with the notions of all the frivolous chasing of co-eds as a single man. I don't miss them that much, to be honest with you.

Now is the time of Hillel, in regards to myself, anyway. I'll give you that he lived to be 120, and that he probably forgot more than I will ever learn about the Law. But we are both starting out at about age 40. It can also be understood the desire to know what all of the tradition is about enough to climb on top of the yeshiva and learn until they were frozen there.

I had a few editions of the Talmud, and frankly, they weren't doing me very much good. I donated them to a friend who would be far more prepared to use them. I am too easily distracted, and tend to swallow the cake only to attempt to remember what the icing looked like. You have to start from the beginning, learn the "little things", just like they say in hockey. So for me, that means Tanakh and Mishnah.

The current plan is basically a tractate a week, beginning with Tractate Berachos, in Seder Zeraim. Each mishnah is read, digested, elucidated, and written up at my site A-B-C. There will also be editing and additions at Wikipedia.

With an infant son that will eventually grow up to need this information at a much earlier date than I was allowed to gain it, I can only hope that it will make his life easier in some form or another than having to go through the search "around the city" as I did in order to finally "find the gate."

Others undoubtedly could use, or would choose to have this information at their fingertips, and with the advent of the technological world as it is, I see no other proper way to address the issue than to just go ahead and get it up and out there, available for perusal and correction by the world at large.

I may or may not ever actually become a rabbi. But I will learn and share what I learn, and hopefully that will be sufficient.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment